Sermon: Sow Much
Jesus' parable of the sower reminds us of a number of comfortable and uncomfortable truths about life in this world:
- God does not force God's will on the world
- God constantly plants seeds and sows possibilities into all kinds of situations -- in fact, into every situation, place and heart
- there are many ways in which what God desires is frustrated, resisted and undone, and we need not be surprised by them
- but still, the harvest is astounding (as Jesus says earlier as well, in Matthew 9:37)
- How and where do I plant seeds and sow possibilities as a servant of God?
- Am I myself a seed that God scatters into the world?
- How and when am I different kinds of soil, bearing different results?
- Do I recognize holy growth in the world and in others, and do I help to harvest it?
- How does the image of the sower affect how I pray for God's will to be done in any given situation?