Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Toward Sunday, July 13, 2014

Scripture:  Matthew 13:1-9 (The Parable of the Sower)
Sermon:  Sow Much


Jesus' parable of the sower reminds us of a number of comfortable and uncomfortable truths about life in this world:
  • God does not force God's will on the world
  • God constantly plants seeds and sows possibilities into all kinds of situations -- in fact, into every situation, place and heart
  • there are many ways in which what God desires is frustrated, resisted and undone, and we need not be surprised by them
  • but still, the harvest is astounding (as Jesus says earlier as well, in Matthew 9:37)
Jesus' story is about God, and it raises lots of questions for us as God's people and followers of Jesus -- probably 30, 60 or 100, including:
  • How and where do I plant seeds and sow possibilities as a servant of God?
  • Am I myself a seed that God scatters into the world?
  • How and when am I different kinds of soil, bearing different results?
  • Do I recognize holy growth in the world and in others, and do I help to harvest it?
  • How does the image of the sower affect how I pray for God's will to be done in any given situation?
Here's a few more depictions of The Sower.  What does each say to you?  We may have another look at them (and more) on Sunday.








No comments:

Post a Comment