Monday, June 01, 2015

Sermon from Sunday, May 31, 2015

Readings:  Isaiah 6:1-8 and John 3:1-17
Sermon:  Outthh!!  Thad reawwy hurtthh!

When I was in high school I was very religious.  At age 12 I had had a conversion experience and was baptized as a believer into the church.  At home I read the Bible and said prayers every day.  At church, I attended worship, either attended or taught Sunday school, belonged to the youth group, was even president of it for a while.  I also felt a call to ordained ministry, and was preparing for it. 

I was like Nicodemus – committed to the faith and to the church, a leader in ways appropriate to my training and education, and continuing to move ahead in the call I felt to be a leader in the community of faith. 

I was like Nicodemus as well in the undercurrent of restlessness and questioning that I felt.  A vague – sometimes not so vague, un-ease.  At times a sense of emptiness or longing for something just a little bit more of God or of truth or of godly life than what I was able to experience in the place where I was. 

So one night I went by myself to a Bible study and prayer meeting that a friend had told me about.  It was the days of the Jesus People movement – that charismatic, counter-cultural revival that caught up so many dis-affected young people in the late 60’s, and this Bible study meeting was somehow related to it – was part of the Jesus People movement in Winnipeg.

The study was in a big old house in another part of the city.  I didn’t have a car then, and didn’t want to tell my parents where I was going – the Jesus People movement was not looked on too favourably in our church, so I couldn’t borrow the family car.  So I took the bus – about a half-hour ride, and found my way to the house.  I went in, and it seemed there were about 60 or 70 or maybe even 100 people squeezed into every nook and cranny and piece of furniture and floor that was available.  I didn’t know anyone so I found a little floor space in a far corner and sat down cross-legged. 

For two or three hours we sang, prayed, listened to Bible readings and teachings, and shared words of witness and testimony.  It was wonderful.  It was scary.  It was unlike anything I had been at before. 

And then it happened.  It began as a kind of humming in one corner.  Something musical sounding.  It grew a little bit and then subsided.  It grew again.  I couldn ‘t make out the words.  If they were words, they were very strange.  But it was wondrously musical, lyrical in its own way, powerful in its attractiveness and beauty.  It lasted maybe a few minutes – maybe 5 or 1o.  And then it quieted, faded and was gone. 

In the profound silence that followed, I knew I had just heard speaking in tongues.  Glossolalia.  Charismatic speech.  It was a little scary.  I knew I was in the presence of something or someone far greater than me and anything I had known to that point.  And I was immensely happy – deeply and profoundly filled with joy. 

I went back a few more times that summer, and the experience was repeated once or twice.  I didn’t want and never asked for the gift myself.   

I wonder now what might have happened if I had.  Might I have learned to be more free and open than I am, and than I have been in my life and in my spirit?  Might I have become more open to, and more able to express simple joy and delight than I am?  Might I have struggled less with these things than I do?  Maybe openness to the holy really is healing and redeeming for us – for each of us in our own particular way? 

I don’t know.  We never know what effect an experience of the holy, and openness to it might have on us.  What change, what demand, what gift, what challenge it may have for us.  I just know I was too timid to go there at that point in my life.  Probably still am. 

But at the same time, it did open me.  It helped me see there was more – much more to God than was contained in the worship and the life of my church and my own little spiritual practice.  It reminded me – and its own way opened me in a way that cannot be undone, to the greatness of God’s beauty, joy, vitality and wonder that no single religious tradition or set of spiritual practices, as good as they are, can ever begin to encompass. 

 

The prophet Isaiah is one who was not afraid or too timid to go
there. 

When King Uzziah dies it is the end of an era for the kingdom of Judah which Isaiah serves as a court prophet.  Uzziah reigned for 40, maybe 50 years and most of his reign saw prosperity and piety throughout the kingdom – from the king on down.  But in the king’s later years pride got the better of him.  He became more self-centred and self-important.  Faithfulness to God and God’s way took second place.  Just leadership of the people and compassionate care of the poor and weak fell off his list of priorities and he ruled mostly for the benefit of his own family and those closest to him.   

So when he dies, the kingdom is at a crossroads.  It will find its way back to real faithfulness, or continue to fall into disarray and irrelevance.  In the midst of this crisis Isaiah goes one day to the Temple to do his job of trying to discern the will and word of God for the kingdom.  And it’s then that he has the vision of God that changes everything for him, about him, and for the people he serves.   

In the Temple he sees God high and lifted up, surrounded and lauded by great winged angels, great and terrifying to see, obscured in smoke and mist, the sound of the angels and their heavenly worship of God shaking the foundations of the Temple, maybe the foundations and stability of all the earth as Isaiah has known it to that point. 

Isaiah is overcome.  “Woe is me!” he says.  “I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips…we have spoken of God, assumed we were speaking the truth, assumed we knew what we were talking about … but now I see how little we know, how poorly I in my prophecy and my people in their living say anything true about about the God we claim to love and serve … in the presence of almighty God, who am I and what am I?  I am lost.” 

At which point an angel flies to him with a burning coal taken from the altar of God, touches his mouth with it, and says, “Now that this has touched your lips, your guilt is gone, your sin is blotted out.”  Then the voice of the Lord calls out, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us, to speak what the people really need to hear?” 

According to the Scripture, Isaiah answers, “Here am I; send me!” 
 
 
But I wonder if the first words out of his mouth – his first open and honest response to God and to how God was touching and opening and redeeming his life, were maybe just:
 
 
“Ouuttthhh!  Thad reawwwy hurttthhh!” 

 
Because it does. 

 
When we encounter the holiness of God beyond the limits of our tradition of faith and our own set of spiritual practices, it can be pretty scary because it usually shakes at least some of the foundations we have known.   

When we are exposed to the greatness of God beyond the constraints of what we’ve been taught and have maybe taught others, it can make us afraid of going into new and uncharted territory and of losing control. 

When we are touched by the real Word of God in any situation, and maybe feel ourselves caught up even a little in the movement of God’s Spirit in our time, it can hurt and make us feel bad about where and how we have been to that point, can make us feel the pain of changing our mind and changing our tune and maybe even the direction of our life. 

No one ever said that being opened to God, hearing God’s word, and living God’s way is easy.  But it’s those who do, whose lives and words and deeds will really count, will help lead into God’s future, and will survive and be told for years to come as part of the story of the holy and almighty God in our little time and place. 

And I wonder what all of that means for us, in our little corner of the great kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment