Monday, August 13, 2018

The Chapel of the Coffee Cup (or, when I'm really spirtually thirsty, is my Tim's cup a sacred chalice ... or just another piece of addictive litter?) -- Sermon from Sunday, Aug 18

Reading:  Psalm 42



Leslie Brandt, an American Lutheran pastor, in the 1970’s translated the first part of Psalm 42 this way:

          As a desert wanderer longs for springs of cool water,
                   so my thirsty soul reaches out for You, O God.
         
          I remember so well the faith of my childhood.
          How real God was to me in those days
                   when I prayed and sang praises
                       and listened to His Word
                           in the fellowship of family and friends!
          Then why am I so depressed now?
          … my heart is empty,
                   and waves of doubt flood over my soul.

I understand the feeling.  But I don’t think I want to go back to the faith of my childhood.  Back then I feared God and being Christian seemed to be about obeying hard and rigid rules.  I don’t think that faith served me well.

But the faith of my adolescence and early adulthood!  That’s a different matter.  I fondly remember discovering Jesus as a rescuer from the fear of hell, as a saviour-friend, a kind of big brother-hero from another realm.  I felt passion about him and about following him.  I prayed to him and counted on him as the answer to everything. 

It felt good to be part of a mission to tell others about him.  This was the time of the Jesus Freaks, and even though we were just good church kids one year we too did our own door-to-door evangelism on the streets around the church.  In grade twelve I tried hard to convince a girl friend from school of the rightness of Christianity, and to convert her to be a Christian.  In first-year university I wrote at least one history and one English lit paper about Jesus as the answer to the problems and questions we were exploring.  (Still don't understand how I got an A for either of those efforts.)

During these years I also had a taste of the Holy Spirit – a brush with glossolalia at a charismatic Bible study group, that didn’t make me want to become Pentecostal but certainly helped me feel the joy and vibrancy that can be part of faith and openness to God.

I know I can’t go back – and don’t want to go back, to the simplicity and naivete of my faith at that time .  But it would be nice to feel the passion, the openness to God, the fullness and nearness of God, and that vibrancy of commitment on a consistent basis.

I kind of envy the simple peasant of the famous story about a farmer who stops in at the parish church early every morning on his way to his fields, just sits there for maybe a quarter or a half an hour, and then leaves.  Not kneeling.  Not reading the prayer book.  Not saying prayers at all.  Not going into the confessional.  Not approaching the priest about anything. 

Which makes the priest, who sees this day after day, curious and a little suspicious.  So one day after the man has spent his half hour or so just sitting there and is on his way out, the priest stops him and asks the man why he comes.  Is there anything he could do for him?  Priests like to be helpful.  To which the poor farmer says, looking up for a moment at the crucifix, “No.  No.  I just come to look at him, while he looks at me.  Is that all right?”

I wonder if this is what sometimes makes the difference between a faith of the heart and a faith of the head.  Images.  A particular image for us to look at, that helps draw us in, that connects us with God, and kindles our passion.  An image – peculiar to each of us, and maybe a special place.

At one point in my life, the statue of Mary in the front garden of Mt. Carmel Spiritual Centre was a place of regular and deep devotion and prayer any time I was there on retreat.  At other times, it was the life-size sculpture of Christ on the cross, and the larger-than-life statue of Joseph the carpenter on the grounds of the Ignatian Centre in Guelph that really spoke to me.  I even took pictures of them so I could have them with me when I needed them.  The statue of Joseph was my screen-saver for a while.

The chapel of Mt Carmel in Niagara Falls has been a special place, as has been the little Hermitage cottage at the Crieff Hills retreat centre where I’ve enjoyed a few week-long personal retreats.  This sanctuary here is also one the holy places in my life.

And there are people, too, that help open me to God like long ago.  Any time I visit with my best friend in London, who I grew up with in Winnipeg, and when I share memories or tell stories of one minister from those days, named Richard, my soul is renewed. 

And there are groups and programs as well – a spiritual growth group I meet with every few months at Five Oaks, and a spiritual recovery group I’m part of every Wednesday night for the past few years.

All of these things – images, places, people and programs, help me recover the passion, vibrancy and reality of faith and faithfulness that I never want to lose track of.

Which makes me wonder, what helps you?  What images do you have or know that speak in deep ways to your soul?  What places do you count on to be holy places in your life?  What people help you over and over again to feel connected with God and the deeper meaning of your life?  What programs, what groups, what activities or rituals feed you, and help keep you alive and strong and walking with God? 

If you were to give thanks to God right now for what feeds your faith and renews your soul on a consistent basis, what would you give thanks for? 

And … one last thought.

These past few weeks Japhia was in the hospital and I was there with her, as much as I could be.  We were especially aware of our weakness and need, our powerlessness and vulnerability. 

And some time into our second week I was struck by how often and automatically on my way in and out of the building, I would stop and line up at the Tim Horton’s counter or the convenience store beside it in the main lobby.  To pick up a coffee, and maybe a glazed cinnamon roll or sour-cream plain, or a chocolate bar or bag of Bugles.  Even though I was neither hungry nor thirsty. 

I think it was something other than physical hunger that I was trying to feed, and I noticed how many other people did the same.  The Tim’s was always busy.  Everyone in the lobby – either sitting or just passing through, had a cup in their hand.  And the volunteer in the convenience store said, yes, they do a really good business in snacks.

Which makes me wonder if having something in our hand to eat or drink, and if in our culture being able to buy something and be a consumer makes us feel safe, makes us feel in control, re-assures us that we need not fear.  I was in a shopping mall a number of years that actually had a sign at its entrance recommending "retail therapy" for whatever ails you.  And they were being serious.

It’s funny, the hospital chapel is just a few feet away from the Tim’s and the convenience store.  But it wasn’t until the middle of our second week that I went in there – that I, a minister (!!) even thought of it as a place to go – just to sit, to rest, and to be reminded we are not alone, but held always in the hands of a loving God.

I wonder: were the coffee, the sour-cream glazed, and the bag of chips also signs and sacraments of God’s love?  Blessings and gifts of a caring God? 

Or were they just temporary salves – addictive crutches of momentary comfort in place of real re-assurance of God’s presence with us, and eternal love for us?

As Leslie Brandt translates the end of Psalm 42:

          I must renew my faith in God;
                   I must again shout God’s praises
                       even when I don’t feel God’s presence.
          For truly He is God,
                   and God is my Help and my Hope.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment