Saturday, February 22, 2020

Leaning into gratitude (to see what it's like) -- an un-preached sermon to open the door to Lent 2020


(With thanks to Pattie Lanktree for the image.)

For a few years now I’ve been part of a male spirituality group.  On occasion, distinct from our usual meetings, we plan a special “Gratitude Meeting” at which the only agenda for the meeting is for any who wish, to share what they are grateful for at that moment.

It seems I don’t get as excited by those meetings as the other guys.  And I wonder why.

Am I just simply ungrateful?  Unwilling or unable to feel and express gratitude for what I have, what I have been given, and what blesses and saves me?  Inclined instead to see what I have as somehow my “possession” – mine to work at, earn, and claim as my due reward?

Or am I suspicious?  Jaded and tempted to cynicism by the kind of religious gratitude that thanks God for every big and little answered wish and want – from the momentous to the frivolous, from the deeply life-changing to the patently selfish?  The kind of thanksgiving that seems to cheapen the meaning of gratitude and to shrink God down to a household deity pandering to self-centredness?

Or am I maybe resentful?  Envious of what others have, enjoy, and have accomplished?  Feeling cheated and overlooked by life and by God in the blessings sweepstakes?  Maybe sadly undone by my own mistakes and issues along the way?


I’m thinking about all this because I believe what’s said about gratitude being a first step towards true spirituality, and a basis for contentment and resilience in life.  Also, gratitude is the theme of both our Lenten discussion group and our worship this year.

The discussion group will be using video interviews with Diana Butler Bass as the beginning point for conversation about gratitude.  Bass has literally written the book on gratitude.  It’s called Grateful: The Transformative Power of Giving Thanks and in it she chronicles her own difficulties with feeling and expressing gratitude, what she has learned along the way, and the difference she sees it making to life.  For five Monday evenings through March and into April we’ll meet to talk about what her learnings might mean for us.

On Sundays the theme of our worship is “Growing Gratitude.”  It will be a journey into the unknown as much for me as for you, and I hope the journey will be good for us all.

At the moment, two things stand out in my soul.

One – a general point, is something Diana Butler Bass says early on in her book.  She says gratitude at its deepest level is not about specific things we get or that come our way and that we are thankful for, but that it’s about learning to see how (and why) all of life, all that is, and all that ever will be is gift.  That as one of many inter-dependent and deeply inter-connected creatures (rather than as either creator or centre of the universe) we really make, earn, and in the end deserve nothing as our own, and that the most honest thing we can do is constantly to look around, feel wonder, and see what we can do to happily and thankfully share what is there for the good of all.

As she puts it, “the universe is a gift.  Life is a gift.  Air, light, soil and water are gifts.  Friendship, love, sex, and family are gifts.  We live on a gifted planet.  Everything we need is here, with us.  We freely respond to these gifts by choosing a life of mutual care. 

“Some people think of God as the giver of all the gifts.  Whether you believe God or not-God, however, gifts come first.  We would not even exist without them.  We are all beneficiaries … and we express our appreciation by passing gifts on to others.  When we share gifts, we become benefactors toward the well-being of all.  Although it may be ‘new’ to some in Western societies, this is an ancient understanding, one that echoes through many of the world’s oldest and wisest sacred traditions.  It is an invitation to … live more simply, graciously, and freely, attuned to our own hearts, our neighbours, and the common good.”  (pp. xxiv-xxv)

The second thing sitting in my soul is a practical thing.  It’s a minute – literally one minute in the middle of “A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood,” the recent movie about Mr. Rogers.

Mr. Rogers, played by Tom Hanks, is in a restaurant with a jaded, life-worn journalist trying to figure him out.  As their meal arrives Mr. Rogers invites the reporter to join him in a minute of quiet remembrance of all the people he can recall who have loved him into being.  Reluctantly the reporter agrees and joins Mr. Rogers in a full minute of silent remembering of all the people – good and bad, easy and hard, likeable and unlikeable, who have loved him into being.  (And it’s the “and’s” in the last part of that sentence that are the important part.)

The way the scene is scripted in the movie, the other people in the restaurant see what the two men are doing and also fall silent for the minute.  The way the scene is seen in the theatre, every person in the theatre is also drawn into that one minute of silent, spiritual remembrance of people along the way who have loved us into being.  Japhia and I both felt it, and I know others did too.

All of which makes me both nervous about and drawn towards Lent this year.  Gratitude as a spiritual challenge, a transformative idea, and a practical exercise – what an interesting journey this might be.

And one last thing – yes, a third thing comes to mind, beyond the two I warned you about.  A memory.  Of driving a few years ago to who knows where, listening to an Adele recording of the Bob Dylan song, “Make You Feel My Love.”  Crying as I listened to the song, deeply remembering different persons who at different times in my life have loved me in ways the song unveils.

“When the rain is blowing in your face, / and the whole world is on your case, / I could offer you a warm embrace / to make you feel my love.”  All the way through to “I could make you happy, / make your dreams come true; / nothing that I wouldn’t do, / go to the ends of the Earth for you, / to make you feel my love.”

I have known people who loved me that way – at least, as close to it as they could manage and as I allowed them.

And is maybe that it?  The secret – at least one of the secrets, to gratefulness? 

To know yourself to have been loved in ways you neither earned nor deserved nor even could completely comprehend?  And to remember it?



p.s. The Adele version of the Bob Dylan song can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0put0_a--Ng



No comments:

Post a Comment